Sunday, November 16, 2014

DIY: Billy Truffula Button

Hello there all,

I had some Townshend's Kombucha bottles that I was enamored with, but they sat on my buffet so lonely lacking company. During the Halloween season, they were adorned with black roses, but they were sitting there begging for some love. Being inspired by my love for Truffula Trees and Billy Buttons, I came across this tutorial on how to make "poof balls". It was a great jumping off point, but there are some things that I adjusted that helped me. It might be a better system for you, too.

Here's what you'll need:



  • yarn 
  • stick
  • scissors
  • hand
How to rock this:


1.) Place a portion of the yarn in between two of your fingers and tighten your grip around this piece before you start wrapping the yarn around your fingers.




2.) Wrap the yarn around your fingers. I used 4 fingers because I wanted bigger pom poms, but you can decrease the amount of fingers to match the desired size.




3.) Keep wrapping and wrapping around your finger. The more yarn that you wrap, the bigger and fluffier your pom pom will be.





4.) When you are done wrapping the yarn around your fingers, cut the wrapped yarn. You will need to cut a separate piece of yarn that is about 5 inches long. You will use this separate piece to tie around the middle of the yarn that has been wrapped around your fingers. You will probably need to loosen up your fingers to do this. When you tie all of the yarn together, the knot should be tight. I used a double knot for extra precaution, and it should make an hour glass shape.





5.) Next, you will cut the loops that are made. These are the loops that are found on the top and bottom of your hourglass figure. You will cut the loops in half, so they go from having a loop to being separate strands of yarn.





6.) When you have cut all the loops, you can attach it to a stick. I did this by putting the stick through the middle of the pom pom. You can find this by finding the yarn that you tied around the whole thing earlier, and you make sure that the stick goes through the center of that tied string.



7.) Place them in an epic vessel. I love these bottles because they fit into the mentality of reusing a grocery item like I talked about in this article.

Until next time, remember the words of the Lorax: "UNLESS someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better. It's not."

-Autumn

No comments:

Post a Comment