Saturday, October 11, 2014

Homesteading: Coconut Coffee Exfoliator

Hello there,

I hate throwing things away. This expands to anything. I love finding new uses for items, and the idea of throwing away useful items makes me cringe. It seems especially awful when it is food waste. After all, how ungrateful does it seem to throw away food that so many would love to have? Therefore, I try to find ways to eliminate food waste by composting, using peels in cleaning products, etc.

One of these victims of my agonizing scrutiny is coffee grounds. We've been using coffee grounds in our compost bin for awhile, but our compost bin can only break down so much at a time. After reading this article, I found a new use for our coffee ground, and I made a coconut coffee exfoliator.




It seemed like a nice use for the coffee grounds because I have obscenely dry hands that need constant attention. I work in the healthcare field, so my hands are being washed obsessively. It can be brutal to my hands, so I thought that it was worth a shot.

The recipe is just two ingredients:

  • 1/2 cup of dry coffee grounds (use them first to make some coffee and then let them dry up for a couple of days)
  • 1 cup of softened coconut oil
What to do?
  • Mix together.
  • Rub a little bit on your hands, wash away the gunk from your hands.
  • Enjoy the new softness of your hands.
This feels absolutely delicious on my hands and for a short while it makes me feel like my hands are back to how they were before working in the healthcare field. I've also used this for a lip exfoliator, and it also left my lips feeling nommy. You could use this as a full body scrub, and it will leave all your bits feeling just as delicious. If you are going to use this in a shower, those coffee grounds could get awfully cray in the drain. You've been warned!

However, a little note that you need to keep your mixture in a relatively cool place otherwise your exfoliator will separate and you will have two different layers (like shown below). This doesn't mean to store it in your refrigerator because it will become too hard, and you won't be able to use it. Just find a nice comfortable temperature (try to steer clear of 85+ degrees).






Enjoy your new delicious skin :).

-Autumn

No comments:

Post a Comment