Saturday, February 7, 2015

What am I reading?

Hello there all,

One of my goals for this year was to read 12 books, and to be completely honest, I have been CRUSHING it. So far, I have already read 4 books, and I thought it would be fun to talk about my reads on here.


What have I been reading?
1.) The Secret Garden by Frances Hodgson Burnett
2.) #Girlboss by Sophia Amorouso
3.) Pride and Prejudice and Zombies by Jane Austen and Seth Grahame-Smith
4.) Is Everyone Hanging Out Without Me? (And Other Concerns) by Mindy Kaling

My Thoughts

The Secret Garden- I have always wanted to read this book because I have had a secret love for the 1993 movie, and I was curious about the similarities. This particular version had beautiful illustrations that made me swoon. The book is a great and simple read, but I find the Yorkshire dialect difficult to read at times. However, I found myself becoming acclimated to the dialect by the end. Heck, I even threw out the word "afore" in everyday conversation. This book isn't for everyone, but it is worth trying if you like yourself some past world charm.

#Girlboss- This book is an autobiography about the outsider world of Sophia Amorouso and her fight to make it big with her online retail shop "Nasty Gal." Amorouso has a great unapologetic attitude, and she owns it. Additionally, the book gives great business and money advice that works well for those that are looking to start a business or be financially successful in life. It gives the advice in very relateable attitude, and the book is also pretty funny. This book isn't something that I would've anticipated that I would enjoy (business and money advice? Me?), but I found it very intriguing.

Pride and Prejudice and Zombies- This book is a great read, but it is necessary to read the Jane Austen classic first. Grahame-Smith interweaves a story of a zombie plague that infiltrates the Austen setting. It is comedic and sweet just like the classic. It adds some badass-ness to it all, but I feel real Austen fanatics might not find the story entertaining. If you are willing to read an Austen story with a twist, this is for you.

Is Everyone Hanging Out Without Me? (And Other Concerns)- This book is ridiculously hilarious, and you just might find yourself laughing out loud to this book (books rarely actually make me laugh out loud). Kaling is so willing to be herself, and she puts herself out there in a way that every 20/30 something girl can relate to. Her problems are your problems, and her doubts are your doubts. Yes, Kaling isn't quite like all of us being a highly successful actress and writer, but those differences are what adds intrigue and humor to all of it. Try it out. You won't be dissappointed.

I'm always looking for new recommendations and good reads. Read anything good lately? Any recommendations?

-Autumn

No comments:

Post a Comment