Saturday, May 30, 2015
Monday, May 25, 2015
Saturday, May 16, 2015
Recently, The Mister and I went on a little foraging walk to pick some flowers because I had a hankering for some pressed plants. It is such a wonderful way to make you take some time to really look at your surroundings and notice all of the little pretty things. We only grabbed greenery that had fallen or was at the park. When it came to the petals, we only took ones that had fallen because we want to keep the beauty around as long as possible.
As you may remember from my goals for 2015, I planned to read 12 books for this year Here you'll find the other books that I have read this year. I am happy to brag that I have already passed that number, and we still have over half of the year to go. WOOT!
What Have I Been Reading?
- The Maze Runner Series by James Dashner (The Maze Runner, The Scorch Trials, The Death Cure, and The Kill Order)
- Still Alice by Lisa Genova
- The Little Prince by Antoine de Saint Exupery
- The Giver Series by Lois Lowry (The Giver, Gathering Blue, Messenger, and Son)
- The Maze Runner Series is a series that constantly keeps you on edge wondering what is going to happen. You will bite nails, you will lose hours of sleep reading, and you will probably need blood pressure medication because you will be so stressed (in a good way). The mystery can be excessive as their are some things that characters don't reveal, but I don't think that it hinders the overall story line. Unfortunately, I do not feel like I should divulge too much information about the series because you are supposed to be clueless. However, I will say that the initial book follows a character that has his memory wiped and finds himself in a very strange environment and doesn't know how or what brought him there. The first book is my favorite, and they go in order of my favorite as you move along. Although, I really liked the first three books I LOATHED the last book (Kill Order). It felt unnecessary and like something that could've been discussed in the previous three books. There were times when I had to force myself to read it because I just didn't find it interesting.
- Still Alice is something that really struck a chord with me as it chronicles the life of a woman that develops dementia (specifically Alzheimer's). It is so heartbreaking to read this story because it shows what so many people that I work with are going through. They are being faced with losing a part of their identity while clinging onto what they can. It is a wonderful read for everyone (not just those that know others with dementia) because if you don't know someone with dementia currently, you will know someone with dementia soon (1 in 3 seniors folks). Recently, Julianne Moore starred in a film adaptation that I have heard is really great, but I haven't seen it yet.
- The Little Prince is a great story for everybody (kids and adults). It is an easy read full of pictures that shows the fantastical story of a little prince that travels through the universe and meets a man on Earth. The story has some great whimsy for the youth, but there are some surprisingly deep themes for a children's book which an adult will appreciate.
- The Giver Series is a young adult sci-fi/fantasy series set in the future. All 4 novels have semi-separate stories that interweave into a larger story. However, it all stems from a young boy named Jonas that discovers some things about himself and the world he lives that changes everything. Unfortunately, the series leaves some things unanswered which kind of bummed me out, but they are still 4 beautiful novels. I really liked all four of them for their different characters and how they attached to the storyline.
What are you reading right now? Have any recommendations?
Wednesday, May 13, 2015
Dishwasher safe Modge Podge
Tuesday, May 12, 2015
Get a load of all the awesomeness recently.
Monday, May 11, 2015
This weekend, The Mister and I were able to venture to the Leach Botanical Garden which I have been meaning to go to for about a year. Last year, I saw a sign for it while riding the Springwater Corridor, and I have been meaning to go ever since. FINALLY, I set aside a day/time to go. We decided to go on a Saturday at 11 because it has a free guided tour. You can explore the garden independently, but I strongly recommend the tour (you'll see why).
|Gate to the garden|
|Behind the manor (which you can explore)|
|Just some neat plants alongside the manor|
|Flooring of the cabin|
This garden has a bit for everybody, and it is FREE! However, we definitely donated because it was such a wonderful experience for us :).
We're excited to go again later this year to see how the garden has changed.
Sunday, May 3, 2015
Hello there all,
Happy May the Fourth! Do you know whay today is? It is Star Wars Day because of May the Fourth Be With You. I miss the days where I was able to convince children to celebrate the holiday with me (like events at Boys and Girls Club that I put on) , but I still find my own ways to rock the holiday.
For those of you that have missed it: I pretty love Star Wars. Blame it on my brother or the Star Wars wallpaper that was up in my nursery (we were renting). I've always been doomed to love the saga.
How will I be celebrating the holiday?
Well, I'll be wearing this adorable little number.