Sunday, November 16, 2014

Everybody Loves Mail

Hello there all,

Let me tell you a little secret of mine. As a kid, I used to sit and wait for the mailman to come. He was the sweetest elderly fella named Jack, and I loved waiting for him to come to deliver the mail. The mail was rarely if ever for me, but there was some sort of excitement about getting these pieces of paper from around the world. Now, this love didn't go away as I grew up. Being a teenager, my dad and I would race to the mailbox to see who could get to it first.

Nowadays, my love has somewhat died down. The thing is that mail now=junk mail and bills. Mail has lost its fun quality, and a week ago, I decided that I wanted to get that feeling back and to give it to others. I asked friends on Facebook who wanted some a letter, and I busted them out tonight.


There is a very important truth about mail, and it is that everybody loves it. There is something so beautiful and exciting about receiving a letter from someone. The person that wrote that took time and energy to sit down and create something for you. This personalization and thoughtfulness of letters is getting lost to this technological age. There isn't as much sentimentality or effort required for someone to send you a text or an email. Sending someone mail says: I care and I'm willing to take some time, so you know it.



One of my residents has love letters that her husband and her wrote to each other during World War 2. They are the sweetest, most romantic and genuine gestures, and we are losing that. My old soul mourns the death of mail, and it is screaming for it to make a resurgence. This is why tonight, I dedicated some time to write some letters to some beautiful people, and I hope that those letters mean to them what letters mean to me.

Try writing just one letter to a friend/family member today. I can guarantee you that it will change their day! 

-Autumn

No comments:

Post a Comment